Chance Pe Dance - Give it a chance

Sunday 23 May 2010
By Sonia
Just too lazy to continue with my Siddarth Series on my Chinese blog (typing Chinese is quite a bit of work) so here's a short entry on what I think about Chance Pe Dance.

Perhaps I didn’t have great expectations for Chance Pe Dance so I end up thinking that it actually deserves better review. I enjoy it a lot. I don't understand why it got such bad review when it's released.)

The story is simple. Sameer (Shahid Kapoor) is from Delhi and he, like many people, thinks that he has the potential to make it in Bollywood. He goes to Mumbai to fight for his dream. A lot of disappointment in between. A lot of difficulties in life. Then he meets a choreographer for movies Tina (Genelia D'Souza) and things seem to be looking up with some good opportunities waiting for him.

I think Shahid performs better in Chance Pe Dance than he does in Badmaash Company. I think he’s much more natural and the character of Sameer has more dimensions for Shahid to explore as an actor than Karan in Badmaash Company. It’s probably because he can see his past in Sameer. It’s not Shahid’s best performance but it’s really natural. I also like his optimism, particularly the part when Genelia finds out he lives in the car :) This film is a feast for Shahid’s fans- lots of close-ups and dancing scenes. (and, according to Gelion, a Taiwanese blogger – lots of close-ups of Shahid’s muscles!) I also enjoy Shahid’s serious scenes. He doesn’t overact and get unnecessarily emotional. I’m very happy about that because when I watched Badmaash Company, I start to get bored with Shahid just playing the “cool, confident dude” without a character well-supported by the story/plot. (Despite how I don’t always enjoy the Unintentionally Funny, Must-Watch Bollywood Movies commic strips on the blog “Off the Record”, I agree that the characters in Badmaash Company have a sudden change of personality that isn’t well justified.) Hope there will be more challenging roles for Shahid in his coming movies.

I guess it's what Gelion said about Shahid's muscles!




As a big fan of Genelia, it’s a bit disappointing that her character Tina doesn’t have a larger part in the movie. The portrayal of Tina is also less detailed than Sameer. But what I like very much about Tina is that she’s supportive. When things are not going Sameer’s way, she’s there for him. Not trying to change anything or offering to help. I think it’s a healthy attitude in relationships. (Not that I’m qualified to judge that……….) It’s usually quite difficult for filmmakers to get it right when the girl is doing better than the guy. The usual plot is that the girl tries to help and the guy feels that he’s good-for-nothing, having a confidence crisis. Although I love the typical bubbly girl Genelia plays in Southern films, it’s still good to see her doing something different once in a while. It’s just that the plot doesn’t give her enough to shine. (That’s why I’m really looking forward to the release of It’s My Life!)


Love the scooter in the movie!










To me, the music’s above average. The songs and the picturisations are good. But they lack something to become a really good soundtrack. I don’t have the answer to it. But all the dancing scenes are worth watching. The song Pal Mein Hain is very sweet and I love the picturisation although it’s a bit cheesy and predictable. (it’s part of the Shahid magic!)

Shahid and Genelia is a very sweet couple. But my focus is totally on Genelia's bangles :P (Bangle's really my weakness! I love how she wears lots of bangles in the movie!)

The final scene - Pump it up!

Pe Pe Pepein - the song isn't particularly important in the movie. But somehow it's really popular among Bollywood dance teachers here in Hong Kong....


0 comments:

Post a Comment